GreatOutdoors.com Search

Dispatch 69: Last Call from Everest Base Camp

By Dave Hahn - May 24th, 2007

Find More:

LISTEN:

Hey GreatOutdoors, this is Dave and this might be my last call from Everest Base Camp. Looks like there's a good chance we'll get out of here tomorrow morning. Myself and expedition leaders Mark Tucker and Ang Jangbu Sherpa. Our sherpa team is working like crazy right now to clear the mountain and they may have it all down as far as Base Camp tomorrow morning which might free us up. They'd be out of danger then and they'd still have a lot of work to do but it wouldn't be in the Icefall anymore. And that's kinda why I'm hesitant to leave before that point. But things are going as well as they can. There are still a few more folks from other expedition's summitting this morning. And the weather is holding. And the woman that we helped, the Nepally woman was still coming down through the Icefall all day today. I don't know her status right now but that will certainly be the biggest progress to have her down here to Base Camp. There's great concern about her hands and her feet, what condition they're in as far as frostbite, but I'm not sure I'll know that before I leave. But again, it's certainly a result we didn't expect a couple days ago -- that she'd survive, even. Good things are happening here. I might be able to give you a call once or twice from the trail. It'll probably take three days to get out. If we're lucky. If the weather doesn't hold back the flights. But we're pretty much shutting down our Everest season. All of our sherpas, all of our climbing members are safe in Base Camp right now. So as I say I'll try to get in touch if something goes on or something of note comes up, but we're winding it down. Bye now.

Comments

© 2011 GreatOutdoors.com